Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chennai to get New landmark

Rs 600-crore project to be completed by March, 2010

A new fort was built on the shore of Madras by the British in 1639 for their military and trade activities. It was named after St George. Post Independence, the historic fort has been used as Assembly complex and Secretariat by the Tamil Nadu government. But not anymore. The old fort will be turned into a museum after the government decided to shift Secretariat and Assembly to a new Rs 600 crore complex in Chennai. The last Assembly session was convened in the fort this year.

About Rs 425.56 crore is being spent on a six-floor building (A Block) that will house the chief minister’s office, the Legislative Assembly complex, library and conference hall. The Assembly session will be held in a hall over-arched by a dome. The Secretariat will be located in the B Block which is being built at an expense of nearly Rs 259.56 crore. The complex will be ready by March 12, 2010.

The German firm, Gerkan, Marg und Partner (GMP), that also designed the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium in New Delhi, has come up with a plan that fuses the visual feel of a modern urban complex with elements from Dravidian temple architecture. Earlier, the building was planned as a 20-storey one but now it has been reduced to 8 storeys.
For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009

An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-

No comments: